Emerge and Restore

Exploring faith, God, and church in the 21st century...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kansas, United States

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Community...but how?

In a class I’m teaching on Sundays, we’ve been studying ecclesiology and this week we talked about the Church as a community of faith. So I’m standing up front giving what feels like a very workmanlike and rudimentary lesson on the concept of community and I look and see people start tearing up and dabbing at their eyes. Which confuses me, because while I care a lot about this, after last week, I’m not pushing very hard. People are talking and discussing, but others are squeezing Kleenex really tightly and looking as if I shot their dog. So I wrap up class, shut down the projector and laptop and head to the back of the building for a glass of water. And suddenly I’m surrounded by people, and they are…weeping. Weeping for a community that we can talk about, but doesn’t exist in our lives yet. Mourning a church that obligates them to attend, yet doesn’t fill this burning need within them. Crying out for relationship that goes deeper than “how are you?”, “I’m fine.” Asking, begging, “How do we DO that?” These people are hungry. Not for another class, which they’ve been taught makes them good Christians, but for relationship and faith lived out in community. They are desperate for people who they can be real with, people who they trust enough to confess to, people who will provide a soft place for them to fall. They are longing for us to be the church.

But unfortunately, I had to admit to myself and to my brothers and sisters that I’m not a man who can really answer there questions of “How do we get there?” I can teach the theology of community in informative and convicting ways…but when it comes down to living it, I am impoverished as the rest of them…maybe more. I want it as much as they do…maybe more…but when it comes down to it, I’m still hiding behind my masks, afraid for anybody to see past them. We can transform the congregation into a real community...but I'm going to have to grow as much or more than anyone.

Last night we even took a baby step in the right direction, getting together with a few of the "weepers" to discuss how we can go about this, lay down some ground rules, and practice going deep with each other by pouring out our hearts a little. It felt good to actually be able to say to someone (other than my beautiful, supportive wife) how much I hate ministry (the job, not the action) sometimes, or at least the political games we sometimes turn ministry into, and how fake I feel when I have to confidently stride to the podium and act like I've got it all together, sit at my feet and learn from me. But this feels like an opportunity...I hope it's the first step on a long journey.

8 Comments:

Blogger believingthomas said...

Neal,
thanks for sharing this. I hope that that group will help you and the church there to become more like the community it needs to be. I know your brave, and I know that you are also not pushing very hard after last week. But try tell them from the pulpit that you are real, that you give up your role as master of the universe, that they should too. Model it for them. I know you are already doing it, keep going!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Donna G said...

It is good to know there are others weeping for this too! We all want it and yet we all fear it. We have become so attached to our mask that we don't know how to take them off!

Please update us on your journey.

11:33 AM  
Blogger David U said...

Neal, I am glad that you are there for these brothers and sisters that need you. After years of hiding behind doctrine, learning to be transparent is not an easy row to hoe. Model that for them.
They will follow in your steps, as you follow HIS!

DU

11:53 AM  
Blogger Jody said...

Your community is now one of repentance, not just the confessing, but turning from the path away from God back toward the Father.

May they become a community of prayer, that through a stronger relationship with God that they will start seeing the Kingdom and following the Spirit. May they see
you as a leader but that Christ is the architect of this Body of believers...

Must admit my guilt in being envious...

3:43 PM  
Blogger Neal said...

Don't mistake this as some big change the leadership in our congregation has decided to make (I'll blog about the leadership structure in the Church of Christ sometime...), it's simply the flailings of some people who just need each other. It's totally grassroots...but maybe that's better...

4:18 PM  
Blogger jettybetty said...

I think all of us long for a community where we can take off our masks--God knew that and we should be able to find that in the church--and when we see the vision of what God really designed for us--well, that's really good stuff.
Hopefully, you will keep up updated on how your community goes!
JB

8:06 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

I’m so thankful you are refreshed. We’ll continue to remember you and your Church as well.

7:01 AM  
Blogger OCAppleMBA said...

Man, I thought I was on an island last night when I spoke about basically the same thing, except how it pertains to youth. I spoke to them in a very serious tone, which may or may not have been good, but the crux of my talk with them is that they need to partition time for outside events, while focusing their time on church events. I have way too many kids saying "well if nothing else comes up, I'll be there." We need kids and adults that say "I'll be there, and if something comes up, it can wait." Church is a backburner for most, and that is why congregations like yours need to feel that community, because they are just "doing church" while they are actually "living life." We need to stress the importance of "living church (or godliness)," and simply "doing life."

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home