Emerge and Restore

Exploring faith, God, and church in the 21st century...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kansas, United States

Thursday, June 09, 2005

True...

One reason I'm a huge proponent of the concept and language of mystery in the life of the Church today is because of the way that certainty and absolutes have been abused in the past and are still being abused in some circles. But beyond all my postmodern arguments and the smallness of our intellects compared to God...there's another reason a quest for certainty is sure to be disappointing: Ultimate Truth is not a thing...it's a Person. Truth IS God. Thus he is the subject of such wonder and glory and splendor and dignity and holiness that knowing him is to love him and worship him and delight in him and seek to please him with everything that we are. Those who are on a quest for certainty through the Bible are missing the point. Leaving out mystery in our search for God attempts to put God in a very small box, therefore making truth very small, very knowable. But God never says 'Ask, and Seek and Knock for objective, absolute, propositional truth'...he said, "I am the way, the truth and the life..." Coming to know God is a lifelong journey, the quest is a relationship...one that I hope will never end. Certainty has an end-point.

5 Comments:

Blogger David U said...

Neal, great post brother! You are wise for your age. Keep challenging us!

In HIM,
DU

6:59 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Inspiring post like these leave little room for comment so I'll just say "Amen". ;-)

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul to Timothy...

"But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;" (2 Tm 3:14, KJV)

1:44 PM  
Blogger Joyce said...

Just wanted you to know that I have been reading your blog lately--just don't always feel qualified to comment. You sure give me a lot to think about. This entry was really neat.

Love you all!!

7:53 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

HAHA! I just read Joyce's comment. Totally true for me too! Not qualified at all. I'm an avid reader, but just never know what to say. I guess that's why my first comment ever to you was on your Star Wars post.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home