Emerge and Restore

Exploring faith, God, and church in the 21st century...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kansas, United States

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Are you Certain?

Here's a longish quote from a lecture by Walter Brueggemann that sort of articulates what postmoderns have been struggling to communicate to moderns about how they look at faith. Please understand that these are snippets from a talk which I have transcribed...(EDITED: after listening to the lecture for the first time in a while, I noticed that these comments I transcribed aren't exactly word for word...but they're really very close. Consider what's here THE MESSAGE to Brueggemann's original text):

"We all want certitude in our lives, but the Gospel is not about certitude, it is about fidelity. Fidelity is a relational category, while certitude is a flat, mechanical one. We have to acknowledge our thirst for certitude, and then realize that if we had all of the certitude in the world, it would not improve the quality of our lives at all because what we wouldn't have is fidelity...

...Fidelity is like having a teenager in the house in that, you don't ever get it settled for more than three minutes. If you aren't constantly working on it, you don't have a relationship...

...We need to recognize the promise for certitude, made by ANY voice is a false promise that cannot be kept. There is not enough certitude in the world to make us happy and make us safe. In the Gospel account, that's called the way of the cross. Jesus never makes any of his disciples certain...

...The truth of the Gospel cannot be articulated in flat, certain prose...

...It is our job as ministers to deconstruct our church members' need for certitude..."

You can download the whole sermon, plus more Brueggemann and great N.T. Wright stuff at:
http://www.emergentvillage.com/Site/Resource/Downloads/index.htm

- What do you think? Is certainty over-rated? Is it something we are incapable of, yet delude ourselves into thinking we posess because it makes us feel better?

I tend to agree...but this whole concept sure makes people uncomfortable...

8 Comments:

Blogger Kc said...

I am off to read the article but I first had to offer this thought. There is certainty in numerous scriptures that record Jesus words and the words of the apostles concerning eternal life, resurrection and all types of Gods providence. I suspect what is being refered to here are theological certitudes in which case I would agree. There is no rule book as the just shall live by faith.

4:38 AM  
Blogger c said...

Rationality in the modern world has done a number on our believes and faith.

I would begin with the idea that humans are finite individuals. We are not going to understand life completely (take understanding women for example). Knowing that I as a finite human with limited knowledge and brain comprehension cannot grasp God, faith, life to its fullest. So am I (are we) comfortable with some mystery? Some aren't. Some are.

If one isn't, then the Bible or faith can be taken as a set of timeless propositional statements that are contextless and can be read or understood completely objectively. If one is ok w/ mystery, then the Bible can transform into what I believe it really is, and that is a story. But not just any story. Its the metanarrative that connects all of life. KC said, "there is no rule book but theological certitudes." I think he's right, but those theological certitudes are created in a context and should be rooted in the grand overarching narrative. Sorry to ramble, this is just clicking b/c of my summer class right now.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Franklin Wood said...

Great thoughts, Neal! I am skimming through the book of John and came across this awesome quote from Jesus to the Jewish leaders. I think it sums up what your article says very well: "You search the Scriptures because you believe they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to me! Yet you refuse to come to me so that I can give you this eternal life." John 5:39-40 (NLT)
Jesus said several times that knowledge without relationship just won't work! Sometimes it seems like we are more loyal to a BOOK than to a holy, righteous God! (That probably sounds terrible, but isn't that what Jesus means in the quote above?)
I love the Bible and study it quite often, but get the nagging feeling that it really doesn't matter unless I know (and have a loyal relationship with) the author.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Rachel O said...

please define PostModern and Modern.

for those of us who are not theologians.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Kc said...

Rachel, as far as I can determine that’s up for debate. One of the most current, and maybe most comprehensive attempts to clarify those definitions can be found in this article in Wikopedia. With respect to religion I have commonly heard it called the Christian response to the postmodern world. Proponents seem to take the same approach with theology that postmodern philosophers do in that they attempt to deconstruct theology. In my worthless opinion it is more a reaction to a morality based faith as opposed to a God centered love based faith. I see both positions as potentially hazardous in that they tend to be divisive. I do however applaude any attempt to restore love between the brethren. :-) Neal I apologize but I didn't have time to listen to all yet but my intent remains.

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hebrews 11:6
But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God MUST believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

John 8:32
And you shall KNOW the truth...

1 John 5:13
...that you may KNOW that you have eternal life...

2 John 1
..all those who have KNOWN the truth...

3:20 PM  
Blogger Neal said...

I'm always happy to bring scripture into my life...but I'm not sure if I'm being cautioned, rebuked, or encouraged...

4:58 PM  
Blogger Kc said...

I suspect in this case it indicates you were misunderstood. :-)

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home