Emerge and Restore

Exploring faith, God, and church in the 21st century...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kansas, United States

Monday, December 20, 2004

still learning

www.emergentvillage.com

I was listening to some lectures and discussions from a recent Emergent Convention (which you can find at the above site - the haven for emerging church leaders), and it really showed me how far from even entering the discussion most churches of Christ are. It showed me how shallow my understanding still is, how narrow my focus, how uneducated about Christianity at large.

It reminded me that aligning ourselves with Postmodernism is not the point...it's to bring the church to a place where we can make an impact in this brand new world...and a world that the Churches of Christ are struggling to understand. To deal with this confusing new place, we are sometimes trying to shout our old answers louder, without realizing that postmodern people aren't just disagreeing with us, they are ignoring us because we aren't engaging them on the same level. We're barely speaking the same language. We care about things they don't, they care about things we've never looked at carefully before. Postmodernism is the goal only in the sense that it makes us able to be useful in this new world. And that is what we need to learn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home